View Single Post
Old 30 September 2021, 12:29 PM   #21
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Yeah, the SBGE257 isn't a valid example of what I meant if the bezel doesn't rotate. My mistake. The other one will do four time zones though.

Doesn't the SBGE257 hour hand set independently of the GMT hand, though, like the Rolex Explorer II? I thought it had a jump hour hand like the Rolex, so you just set the hour hand to your destination, and keep the GMT hand (and minute hand) where it is to see the time back home.
How do you track four time zones when there’s a rotating bezel and secondary 24hr scale on the rehaut? I don’t have one but I’m curious.

Yes correct, on the SBGE257 the hour hand set hand is independent and jumping. In the situation you described, you would have the GMT hand set at time back home (which is what i have by using it as a 24 hour day/night scale that matches local time). The issue is that most of my time is spent at home, so then this is how it’s set normally and the GMT time isn’t tracking a second time zone. If I travel then I can easily use the jump hour to adjust local time.

On the other hand, if I set the GMT time to the second time zone I choose, then when I travel it will always stay at the second time zone while I’m using the jumping hour hand in the new time zone.

Personally I’m not actually much a fan of the jumping hour hand, I think it’s slightly more convenient than just adjusting the hour and minute. On the other hand, when there’s a rotating bezel+GMT hand, you can easily just rotate the bezel and track other time zones on the fly while keeping the local time the same even when you travel (I just move the bezel to the location I’m at, and then the hour hand stays and always is the time back home).

Kind of high-jacked this thread, but it’s still about GMT?
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote