View Single Post
Old 4 October 2021, 04:30 AM   #13
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
My AD has a very extensive pre-owned and vintage section, and I like to spend time over there when I visit. During my last visit, we actually spent an hour chatting and trying on various vintage pieces. He just kept pulling them out as we chatted. Fun afternoon.

They had a complete set with boxes, tags, all papers, original receipt, etc. of a 1665 double red seadweller. It was $146,000 so he got that out for me to play with first. I had read so much about this watch for years and had drooled over photos over the years, but had never actually seen one in person. I hate to say it, but I was underwhelmed by it. I appreciate the history of the watch and how rare the double red print on the dial was, but the next generation 16600 sea dweller feels so much better on the wrist.

Next up was a 1958 6536 small crown sub. This was $50,000. Keep in mind, the 6538 and 5510 big crowns are my grail so I was really excited to try this one on. Again, I was a little disappointed. First off, it is 38mm and it feels really small. I didn't like the way the bracelet felt at all, so I would definitely wear it on leather if I ever obtained one of the big crowns.

They had 4x 1675 GMT Masters. These were awesome. The look, the feel, everything was really fun and unique. I would definitely have no problem getting a 1675 someday if I went vintage GMT.

Same with the 5513 and 5512 they had. They had both of these and those just felt better than the 1665 double red did.

It is good to try these on because when you are drooling over photos of these watches online, you don't get any perspective for how they really wear in person. I thought I would like the 6536 and the 1665 double red, and yet I wouldn't wear either of them after trying them on. Not that I am in the market for either one, but if I had been I would have been disappointed.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote