View Single Post
Old 30 November 2021, 06:46 AM   #33
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Every trend has an arc (which ironically is the name of their new building), but there were so many things fundamentally wrong with Panerai’s (and IWC’s and JLC’s) distribution models, I don’t think you can equate that 1:1. Nevertheless, there is a distinct feeling that we are on the tail end of things with regard to the 70ies style Genta watches. If you look at the auction results, you can see quite clearly that the big gains were closer to the independent sphere, with so many Nautili and Royal Oaks listed that a certain perception of boredom was unavoidable. And consequently, values were stagnant on the sky high levels they’ve climbed to, but no new records were achieved, not even close. If anything, the auctions must have been a bit of a disappointment for many of those who put these watches up for sale, in great contrast to those who had a total field day with their Journes and, to a lesser extent, Langes.

The in the know crowd has been moving to that sphere for a while now, with even folks like Ben Clymer saying that he can no longer respect the Genta fad. It’s only a matter of time before the masses follow and we all want a round golden watch with a story to tell. If you’re smart, you buy your DeBethune/Akrivia/Romain Gauthier/Voutilainen now, could be impossible to come by a year from now (or if you want something truly undervalued before it’s tide comes in, get a Lange chronograph). I think AP are acutely aware of this and are trying to get the Code up to speed to have a horse on this field. And the way things are looking, it’s not exactly void of success.
Clymer said he can't respect the genta fad? Referencing what? Other watch brands ripping of the "genta styling"? Because if so I can agree with that part. But a RO, not so fast. He just wrote a long ass love story about how the RO basically remains his favorite watch only just a couple of months ago as a feature story on Hodinkee.