View Single Post
Old 9 December 2021, 03:49 PM   #142
rand8086
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
I like the Tesla model (and I guess it’s unofficially the Rolex model too), where the price you see is the price you pay. Don’t like it? No problem, the item is not for you then. There will be someone else willing to pay full price. Really can’t imagine this model would stop any significant number of people from buying Omegas.
This model works very well when a brand either starts off that way from the beginning (Tesla) or is able to increase demand for their products to such a high level over time that their products are only really readily available on the grey market for multiple times the retail price, thus people are more than happy to pay the full retail price (Rolex).

The problem with Omega trying to do this almost overnight is that neither of those scenarios applies, and for those who've bought several pieces in the past few years from ADs for steep discounts like me, it's hard to accept the discounts suddenly going away just because the brand wants to move upmarket in their pricing and also get rid of ADs to control the price to prevent discounts.
rand8086 is offline   Reply With Quote