View Single Post
Old 14 December 2021, 09:41 PM   #54
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoz View Post
Hey, I am not taking anything away from Rolex, they have iconic designs and deserves the attention for their presence (heavily due to marketing though), but I completely agree it is an iconic brand and big fan myself "bow to the Crown".
You are kind of illustrating my point, I completely agree but these startup entrepreneurs, high net worth individuals, have absolutely no problem going to an AD buying a watch - honestly many of them would probably never buy 2.5X premium on it, as they are business savvy and know what things are worth.
The problem in the price and in my opinion its inevitable collapse is that if it were only succesful entrepreneurs and HNWI that bought, the 800K produced a year would probably suffice quite okay with all the second hand ones on top of it. The grey prices are driven by the excessive demand from average joe's that has either saved 10K for the first time of their life to buy watch to flex with. I see them all over town honestly, expensive watch, cheap shoes, suits, shirts, cars, whatever... Not that it is not okay, I am no snob myself but I am not overpaying for a Rolex as it does not reflect the actual value of the watch, but rather an Instagram-version of the person you want to be when you own the watch - which has nothing really to do with the watch but rather with whether you buy the watch or invest the money in starting your own business ;)
Don't be too quick to judge a book by its cover.

I have gone out with my wife walking our dog on the trails near our house, dressed like bums, with me wearing a watch and her some jewellery that costs more than 95% of new cars out there. And doing the same driving my kid's car for a quick errand.

Of course, we were wearing it for our own enjoyment. Dissimilar to people you are alluding to.

Sometimes you just never know.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote