View Single Post
Old 15 December 2021, 07:52 AM   #71
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Many people put the DJ on leather and it looks great, maybe one of the best Rolex models to put on leather actually.

Rolex servicing is somewhere around the $800-1k mark, not sure about JLC.

Can't compare Rolex and JLC regarding value retention, as most of us know Rolex is king for that. The JLC will drop in value the second you buy it, unless it was some kind of tiny production number limited edition Reverso. The DJ will easily retain / increase it's value in the current market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
Value retention completely agree. The key would be (and maybe I missed it elsewhere in the thread) is to buy a Reverso used or buy new without regard to value retention. If you enjoy it, it is not always a factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Agree with this point. Particularly if you’re buying a reverso at a 15 to 20% discount. It shouldn’t go much further below that particularly steel provided you don’t severely destroy the condition. However if your plan is to keep the watch than value retention is a relevant, all that matters is how you value it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Retained value, the nasty words that haunt our watch buying, we ignore or dismiss exciting watches from brands that would serve us well if we gave them a chance but because of those words we follow the heard and insist on watches from the 5 pointed crown.

No I’m not immune to that either, I have a couple of the crown’s watches and they’re great but the more I get into this great hobby (?) the more I realise that there are other great brands out there and this DJ/Reverso debate just highlights the difficulties we have when choosing our next timepiece.

A Rolex and the associated positives and negatives that come with it or a rival with their positives and negatives.

I enjoy wearing my DJ and my Submariner but I know that my next watch will be from another brand, I need variation and that means I accept the positives and negatives that come with that decision.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote