View Single Post
Old 21 January 2022, 07:44 AM   #68
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Can you tell me / us what you mean by "on a totally different level" please? I own a couple of Speedmasters and I have handled a 321 and I just do not understand this comment. Exactly what is on a totally different level?

I have refused two new 321s from boutiques because I didn't think they justified the extra price over a normal moon watch so I can definitely see why the second hand price is not much above the new price. I can understand that the 321 is a bit of a halo watch for Omega and is being made in relatively small numbers compared to a moon watch, but they are more than twice the price of a moon watch and that's too much of a difference for me. There appears to be quite a few people on here who want a 321 but are not prepared to pay slightly more for a second hand one. They do appear to be readily available second hand in the UK but I don't know about other countries.
If by readily available you mean the 3 in the U.K. on chrono 24 when you search by model then I wouldn’t exactly call that readily available - that said, one is certainly priced relatively close to mrsp (about 2 grand away).

It’s obviously subjective to the other point. You have rejected a couple and that’s fine. I on the other hand have owned many versions of the speedy and agree with the fella above. It’s on a different level to the 3861 in my view. Hold them together, and it’s quite obvious. Much is down to the sparse dial, ceramic bezel, flashy bracelet and the high polished finish over most of the watch - unlike the 3861. It might be perception, but that’s my view too.

Whether that is for you is up to you - there are no wrong answers and indeed we all want different things out of watches. Indeed as an owner of a snoopy also, I believe it’s actually worth the mrsp difference over that watch. As a long term ownership proposition the Ed white blows that out of the water imo.

In a roundabout way, I’m saying this is horses for courses. No wrong answers. If the 3861 floats your boat more, then great and you’ve also saved yourself a packet. But the Ed white for many is an itch that the 3861 just won’t scratch.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote