View Single Post
Old 28 January 2022, 12:54 AM   #23
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexADreal View Post
If you were in me what would you do?
I would sell it to a reputable second hand dealer.

Realistically, I'm not going to get close to what a trader will sell it for. Buyers expect less from private sellers because of the risks associated. I can be 100% genuine, but there are 10 more cowboys out there claiming to have my watch and some of them might even be claiming to be me. How would a stranger know with certainty that I am the genuine article?

If a buyer agrees in principle to buy it at a price favourable to me, they can back out at any time , start hedging or take it right up to the point of sale, then refuse to proceed without a discount. A reputable grey dealer will make me a good faith offer if my watch is presented to them in good faith. And the price agreed will usually be the one that I get. I can't offer the sort of aftersales service that a dealer can, and I don't have experience dealing with scammers or insurance against it, like a dealer has.

I can't have it both ways. I either take the risk of being scammed at or after the sale or I hand it to a reputable company who will give me a good offer with no risk attached.

It doesn't matter what I think, what vibe I get, how convinced I am that a stranger is a genuine buyer. People are not conned, right up to the point at which they are conned. Nor robbed, right up until the point they are robbed, or worse, or much worse...

If I was a seasoned and experienced watch collector/trader and I was philosophical about taking the odd knock and maybe scoring the odd unexpected win, I would appear less cautious (the operative word being "appear). But I'm not. With respect, it sounds like you are not either.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote