View Single Post
Old 29 January 2022, 10:47 PM   #82
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipotlefire View Post
The Ed White is a great looking watch and I'm a big Omega fan, but I don't, personally, see the fascination with the 321 movement to justify the cost.

For the cost of the new Ed White, I'd get the 3861 and a vintage Speedy with 321.

Comparing the 3861 is like comparing a 60's Porsche engine to a modern N/A Porsche engine, imo

The 3861 has more power reserve, is more anti-magnetic, more accurate, higher beat rate (smoother second hands sweep), and should theoretically have a longer service interval.

Column wheel is a little more to make than cam lever, but I think the hype on the feel of a column wheel is subjective.

You can find a vintage Omega watch with the 321 caliber for less than $4k. The 321 is quite similar to the Valjoux 72. You can find examples of that for less than $2k.

Plenty of companies have done R&D to bring a new movement to life with the cost of the complete watch coming in way under $14k.

I think if the 3861 had only come in Limited Edition watches that retailed for $10k+, more people would look at the 3861 differently.
Good points. I agree.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote