Thread: Chrono vs QP
View Single Post
Old 15 February 2022, 11:38 PM   #8
ryehn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
I recently made the move from 5170 to 5140.

For many years I loved my 5170 - that movement especially is sensational - every bit as dramatic and beautiful to look at as my 5070, and operates even better!

But I sub consciously began to reevaluate my 5170. Excluding the magnificent and beautiful 5170p where they got the dial perfect (and which I exclude from this review), I found the 5170 suddenly looking a little..... 'bland' .....for want of a better word. I feel the reference lacks a bit visual "oomph". This isn't meant to be confused with presence, I've got a 5980/1r for that. No, I felt the 5170 is a touch "unremarkable."

The second/minute counters below the mid line never bothered me before but suddenly it was a factor probably made worse by the arrival of my 5070. It means there's more numerals/indicators in the bottom half than the top half of the dial. (which is fine on the 5270 and 5204 as they have day/month indicators to offset that).
The 39mm size wore bigger than suggested (which was just about OK), but I felt the case was also unremarkable (unlike say a 5205 or the larger, newer 5172). The bezel was a little flat and the case didn't show enough complexity.

Ultimately, I think I just go bored of it.

Anyway, to replace it bought a brand new 5140p-013 - with black laquer and diamond dial. I felt it was a pretty rare incarnation of the 5140 making it a very rare watch generally.
I feel the size is just beautiful at 37.6mm and the small bezel means it's not a scratch magnet (which the 5170's bezel most certainly is). The case is simple but has more to catch you eye than the 5170.
But above all, I loved the fact that, in this black/diamond configuration with white characters, I found absolutely beautiful - it's not bland. It's just a very pretty thing.
It's not absolutely perfect of course, like say a 5970 dial, but it's gorgeous IMO and the busy dial gives you more to look at....

The 3940 was considered briefly - i have no problem with the smaller size, but again, although that watch is very beautifully balanced it's a little too classical looking for me and they don't have that dial variant with the colours, hour markets and text that I love.

Whether it's meant to be formal or not, I wear this 5140p with jeans, with a tux, with a blazer. I tend to find it pretty versatile but then I don't wear shorts nor live in San Diego..

I'll try to post a few pics - one from my wrist and one from Phillips Auction site which I saw and made me run to my AD.

Hope this helped.
Never would've thought someone could relate to this dilemma so closely!

If you never shared with me, I would've never had considered the points that you made. I personally actually quite like the second/minute counters slightly below the mid line! Well, maybe because I don't have an incoming 5070 hahah. I tried a 5170G and I do agree that the size wore a little bigger (but not a dealbreaker). Good to hear about the bezel and case dimensions.

The 5140P-013 is gorgeous with the black laquer + diamond markers. Definitely not something you'll see very often if at all. Details-wise for the dial the QP wins hands down for sure. I do feel like it works and isn't overly jumbled as some may feel!

I look forward to your photos! Thank you very much for sharing your experience

Feel free to follow along with my watch journey!
ryehn is offline   Reply With Quote