View Single Post
Old 18 March 2022, 03:22 AM   #30
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxani View Post
I’m just reaaaallly curious! Can they make it good looking? Because releasing a new Ingenieur or Aquatimer is one thing, making it attractive is another. One of the reasons why I never bought the Ingenieur is that it didn’t look like an expensive watch. Some people specifically want that, but for me I t was too matte, the polished parts didn’t really shine, the dial was boring and I didn’t like the hands and markers. IWC doesn’t really have watches that feel like luxury finishing and most dials are either matte or sunburst, nothing really special, so I hope they surprise me with the new releases.
Well I think there is an issue here... Aside from the Portuguese, Portofino, and Da Vinci lines, IWC is not really interested in making their watches look "luxury." The Ingenieur and Aquatimer, like the Pilot line, are tool watches. IWC amplifies this sport aesthetic by brushing the cases, using matte dials, and what some would consider very conservative design.

I do agree that the Ingenieur could do better to bridge that tool/luxury divide. We have a luxury design, but a tool purpose. I think IWC took a step in the wrong direction when they oversized the Ingenieur, tied it into collaborations with automakers, etc. So to your point, restraint in sportiness should be considered.

I also don't think that they should try to make it another Royal Oak. It really should be marketed as a strong anti-magnetic, conservative, multi-purpose watch with a beautiful history design language that can equally make it versatile as an Aqua Terra or Datejust would be.

Obviously these are just my opinions. I'm actually holding a spot in my collection open right now to see what we get (if anything) from this particular line when IWC releases their new stuff in the coming weeks.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote