View Single Post
Old 22 March 2022, 03:55 PM   #30
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

After weeks of research, I am coming to the conclusion that there are very few Panerai models that I like, but the ones that I do, I have really fallen in love with.

These are the classic, old-school, rugged, stainless steel, 1950 case, domed-crystal, exhibition back, watches with the crown guard, that aren't really part of the current Panarai line. I wonder, given the watches I am drawn to are not longer made, is Panerai going is a different direction than the one that made them famous?

I have become a big fan of the 233 (which I now own), the 372 (which may be too big for me) and the 127 (which is similarly big and also quite rare). While there are a few models in Parerai's history that are similar to these, none are in the current line. While I feel a crown guard defines the brand, there are some Radiomirs that look cool, but then again it is the older vintage 1940 case, the domed crystal etc, are what make these watches worthy to me.

I think the reason it took me so long to come to this conclusion is that Panerai make so many models it was hard to distinguish all the slight/small differences between all the models and product lines. Does anyone else feel they make too many models? I also think this recent move into sleeker, thinner precious metal watches is misguided, sort of like a two-door sportscar made by Range Rover...while i am sure it would be a great car, I would never want one.

Instead of fancier watches, perhaps the classic models in slightly smaller sizes? My 233 at 44mm is the largest watch I own and I worry that my coveted 372/127 may be ostentatious (or ridiculous looking on me) at 47mm (all the on-line dealers I contact insist that I try one one before ordering).

Some of the most popular models reimagined in 44mm, 42mm or 40mm would go a long way with me.

It is worth noting when I got married almost 30 years ago, my wife bought me a Patek Calatrava which is a beautiful watch and at that time was period appropriate at 30mm. Today, the same model is now 37mm reflecting market conditions.

Might Panerai make similar adjustments in the other direction? Hope springs eternal.
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote