View Single Post
Old 24 March 2022, 01:08 PM   #147
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberalclown View Post
This is one of the smartest moves that I’ve ever seen. This move will make watches attainable to many, while discourage the buyers from the crazy market right now. If you can get a $260 moon watch why would you spend thousands for the steel model and why would you spend tens of thousands for Rolex chrono.

This move will draw a line between the watch afficinado and the flipper. If there is less afficinados willing to pay thousands more on a secondary, there will be less flippers feeding the frenzy.

I was thinking of getting another moon watch, and I will try to get alaska project from the swatch line to feed that craving for now or maybe ever. Watches shouldn’t cost same with a decent car and this move from Omega will open up a whole new realization. It will hurt Omega’s sales but it will hurt the whole watch market, just like the quartz crises. Omega must have something under their sleeves, maybe a wearable tech unit, to play the next hand after this bold move. But if they don’t, then maybe this will be the stupidest move that I will ever seen.
There's not going to be a cannabilisation of Omega sales. A high end mechanical watch isn't replaceable by a toy-like quartz imitation.

I guess Omega's is using this collaboration to help bring the next generation of younger customers in. On the other hand there's a risk that it tarnishes the Omega brand by associating closely with another brand whose positioning is quite different to Omega's.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote