View Single Post
Old 2 April 2022, 09:20 AM   #15
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxwatch View Post
I don't have a PhD in Marketing, but I have been an Exec in Marketing for 20+ years. And I also believe that this move devalues the brand. Omega is/was the heir apparent for Rolex...the natural solution for aspiring Rolex owners who can't find a Rolex at retails and are unwilling to pay secondary market pricing.

I don't actually believe that the sales of Moonswatches will hurt the sales of the Speedy, I actually think it might help Speedy sales.

But in broad branding terms, the idea of a luxury product to become more successful, it has to be able to fetch ever greater prices for increased margins since production usually doesn't scale up much if at all. In order to fetch greater prices, the brand has to create greater desire which is typically done by making the brand more aspirational.

Omega has done the exact opposite...instead of making the brand more aspirational, they have made it more accessible...even if only in perception.

I am not sure a single, especially limited collab, will dent the positive aspirational trend of Omega watches, but endless production of this product and/or other similar collabs can and will erode the perception.

There is a reason why Rolex sponsors the top-tier athletes of all the sports that are played and watched by the wealthiest individuals on the planet. And there is also a reason why they don't sponsor the top-tier athletes in sports that are overly accessible.

I own a Speedy 3861 and it is a fantastic watch.

Your 20+ years as a marketing executive is much more impressive to me than some PHD with limited “real world” experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote