Thread: IWC Mark XVIII
View Single Post
Old 12 April 2022, 06:30 AM   #23
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Impression was that spitfire is targeted toward enthusiasts, with the 39mm case, in-house movement, and available fabric strap. The reason I passed is the yellowed color on the hands and parts of the dial. For me that seems like a new watch trying to look vintage, sort of like paying extra for a pair of ripped jeans.

Was a nice watch, for sure. I also liked the top gun in ceramic, but 41mm was pushing it on me due to the lugs. I think 39 would be a good size for the Mark line. It worked for the Explorer line
Yea, all of the colors sort of turned me off as well, much like the Air King. The XVIII is sort of the natural successor to the XV, though I’d really like to see the in-house caliber in the 36mm case as an XI/XII homage. Not a huge faux patina fan for an expensive watch.

Your Explorer comment is also on the money, and explains why I love the Pilot 36: Could never get myself to love Explorer 39 proportions but bought one the moment it went back to 36. Likewise, I just find my XVI just a bit too big these days .
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote