View Single Post
Old 12 April 2022, 11:46 PM   #42
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

The Role of Resale Value in Your Purchase Decision

I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer to the OPs question, and it’s very personal and many different factors involved.

Like many others, I only buy watches I like. Thought process is always lead by “do I really like it or not and do I really want to own it”. Then cost comes into it- can I afford it comfortably? Is it worth its price to me? Are there other things in life I’d rather spend money on at this point in time. Then, If I’ve decided I want to purchase the watch, the question is do I buy it new or pre-owned…. So this is the first point in which re-sale value becomes a factor. I’ve bought both new and pre owned over the last decade, and when there is a big delta, in most cases pre-owned makes sense to me.

Now, in the current environment , re-sale value plays another role when there is a watch I *think* I will really like but am not 100% confident. For example, a watch I can’t easily first try on, one that may be borderline size for my *current* tastes, dial color (I admittedly got caught up in the green fad w the subc LV), etc. In these cases, I’d be lying if I didn’t at least subconsciously consider how much of my $ I could recoup if my tastes change in a year or 3 or 5. Such was the case w the subc lv for me. I am very fortunate to be in the financial situation I am in now, but I am by no means so wealthy that losing money doesn’t matter to me. Looking back, I am definitely net negative on actual executed trades, but have learned a lot from those purchases and trades and like to think those losses make me a better enthusiast/collector and buyer , the latter of which is an part of this cool hobby we are privileged to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Proi
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote