View Single Post
Old 17 April 2022, 10:20 PM   #107
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Congrats mate - that’s great news. Don’t worry about the clasp. I have a great big scratch on mine when I forgot to take it off when moving something in the garden. Still, I’ve no intention of selling it anyway, so just as well!

Will be really good to get your thoughts once you’ve had it a while.
Thanks for this Steve.

I have to say that so far it's been very positive.

I've been thinking about why my thoughts on this watch have changed so much. I was first offered one in November or December 2020, just after they came out. I had bought a hesalite Moonwatch the day before so this was very fresh in my mind and I was directly comparing the two against each other. I have to say that there have been a few posts about the 321 recently and these have made me think about the watch again, but more on a stand alone basis as opposed to a comparison with the Moonwatch.

My first thoughts are that the 321 is very comfortable. I don't have any problems with getting the watch over my hand when putting it on or taking it off. I wish there was a bit more adjustment in the clasp, there are just two adjustment holes, but this isn't the end of the world. The beautifully brushed clasp marks easily, the first scratch has a few friends now already! I don't mind the design of the bracelet, but to my eyes it's not the nicest one I've seen. It is very thin, but it certainly doesn't feel as flimsy as I remembered it. I was a bit concerned about the lug to lug measurement but on the wrist this is no problem for me at all. I think the watch being narrower than the professional Speedies I'm used to makes it look longer but, as I say, no problems. I really like the dial and colour and length of the hour markers. I think that this makes the watch look a bit older rather than it being brand new. I also really like the seconds hand used for the chrono on the watch. When the 321 came out I thought it should have been made with a hesalite 'glass' and an aluminium bezel like the original had, but again having worn the watch I no longer see these things as problems. Mine is currently running at about minus 3 seconds per day which is way better that the Moonwatch I mentioned above which runs at about plus 10 or 11 seconds per day, so I'm comfortable with this as well.

I do not see my 321 as a replacement for my professional moonwatches, I see it as an addition rather than a replacement. To me they wear different enough to justify having both. I have said it before and I say it again though, I would really like to see a 321 version with the professional case. If this 321 is the Ed White version, I would like to see a new 321 equipped version of the Buzz Aldrin watch, the first watch on the moon. I know there are not many 321 movements made but I suspect that it wouldn't be too hard to make a few more and I think the 'Aldrin' watch's case is very similar to the case used for the Snoopy 3 so is also available. (I think the Ed White watch used the 3rd generation ST 105.003 Speedmaster case and the Aldrin watch was the 4th generation ST 105.012 but if this is wrong, please correct me on this) I think a version of Aldrin's watch could also be made as a limited supply version the same as the current 321 and would sell well to enthusiasts. I would be interested to hear what others on here think of this idea!

Well these are my initial thoughts on the 321. I'm sure that I will have more to come, but overall I'm very positive about this watch. I would encourage anyone who has the chance to have a look at it.

I suppose the price has to be mentioned! As I have said, to me, having experienced it first hand, this watch is more than just a modified standard Speedmaster, it is a stand alone watch which Omega appears to see as a 'Halo' watch in the Speedmaster range and as such it will be priced accordingly. At the moment in the UK a Moonwatch is priced at about £5500 to £6500 depending on the version and the 321 is about £12600. If you think of the 321 as a version of the Moonwatch range the same as the other versions, it certainly appears to be expensive. If you think of it as a stand alone 'halo' version, maybe not quite so expensive? (I hope that this makes sense!) I do not see the 321 as a competitor to the standard SS Moonwatch range, I see it as something different.

Do I regret buying the 321? Not at all.

Do I think it was worth the cost? Yes I do.

Do I think everyone will agree with me on these points? No I certainly don't.

If a 321 version of the 'Aldrin' watch come out would I consider it? Definitely!

I hope that my thoughts on my 321 are interesting and helpful to some people in the same way as some other posts have been to me. If anyone has any questions please fire away.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote