View Single Post
Old 2 May 2022, 11:57 AM   #16
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Not to sidetrack the thread, but electric car batteries have a lifespan of about 10 years followed by 10 years of use for energy storage. Furthermore, with today’s technology, 80% is recyclable. Who know what the percentage will be in 20 years.

It’s not marketing or making people feel good. It’s real science and facts.

As for needing energy, yes, one needs to generate power to move the car. The more renewable the source the better. And regardless of the source, the dramatic decreases in CO2 and local particle emissions have real impacts.

As for watches, apparently the younger generation (those who will be the majority of luxury buyers soon enough) expect sustainability. Companies need to cater to that. It’s just good business sense. And if sustainability happens to be better for the planet along the way, why not?

I’m in that generation, i could give two [emoji90] about sustainability in watches. I would never buy a brand because they are using sustainable resources in a watch. I want gold, or stainless steel, or whatever their version of stainless steel is. Panerai is going backwards.

The lack of finishing, the “in-house” movement they don’t really make but sort of take credit for. It’s a mess. They make some really cool watches but i wouldn’t pay anything near msrp for one. Their finishing is also pretty bad considering the price point. Different league but Nomos does a way better job of finishing in a the club that’s $8,000 less than most panerai.

I think they need to dig in more on finishes, making their own movement that’s decorated better, and create something that people want to stand in the imaginary line for. Omega does a far better job in their movements with a display back. Even Rolex does a better job without a display back.

If panerai throws a few more limited editions out there they can become the new Hublot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote