View Single Post
Old 1 June 2022, 11:41 PM   #100
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
That's unfortunate, "could be a special order" is not a very strong endorsement. Since you are already leaving the watch with them, I think it would be greatly preferable to have an actual letter of authentication for the dial from Rolex, even if there is an extra charge for the research.
"Could be a special order" shows that the OP most likely did not speak to a vintage expert at Rolex in Acacias (Geneva), but to a Rolex watchmaker at the reception, where the OP took the shown photo. Normally their statements (vintage experts) are much more careful. At the HQ they don't deliver letters of authentication, I tried without success for a valuable vintage watch in 2020.

Quote:
The notion that it is "authentic by default" if they accept it for service will always leave uncertainty, because we know of many examples of watches with questionable parts that have been serviced by Rolex.
I agree that "authentic by default" is a meaningless saying if it comes from some RSC, but not from Geneva HQ. They very carefully check such a delicate and probably valuable watch before they offer a service quote, and this takes some time!

Quote:
Personally, if I were a potential buyer, I would not accept the fact that it had been serviced by Rolex as equivalent to an authentication.
I tend to disagree, if such a special watch was serviced by Rolex HQ in Geneva it is the best authentication you can find, imho. I trust them more than "original papers" or any other source.

What would worry me more is the claim that a "quotation will be emailed in 2 weeks". Based on my experience, this seems by far too short to perform an extensive inspection of such a special watch, which would take at least about 2 months in Geneva.

What is very good is the customer request, i.e. the list of things Rolex should NOT touch or do. This is very important.
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote