View Single Post
Old 10 October 2006, 01:44 AM   #7
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon59 View Post
My impression, somewhat like Rockrolex, is that Panerai's just look too bulky with a metal band, which has nothing to do with the quality of the band itself of course. Although Rolex offers a yellow gold Datejust with a leather band, to me it just doesn't look right and I guess that is because I always see Rolex with a metal band. So maybe this is all just conditioning. I wonder too if this "tradition" by Panerai has it's origins in practical concerns. Given that their history is creating dive watches for Italian frogmen, I suppose that they might have gone with a rubber band originally just because it is easier to adjust when you are putting on and taking off various kinds of diving equipment all the time. This is just a guess on my part because I have never asked anyone at the company about it. One thing I admire about the Panerai's is that they are quite legible--their dials make it easy to read the time and I understand they have outstanding lume too. Good question.
Haakon, I've gotta disagree with you on one point. I've got a TT DJ on a leather band and I think it makes a great looking dress watch.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote