View Single Post
Old 28 July 2022, 02:39 PM   #735
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

A little story for you guys......

A few weeks ago I popped into my dealer where I live to ask about the status of my 'order'.

I had placed myself on the waitlist for this watch almost immediately after it was announced. I've lost track of when that was but I think maybe 2 years ago?

I do have history with this dealer as I've bought 2 other Omega plus a few Montblanc pens (and other watch accessories).

After a little chat and being told how difficult they were to obtain etc, obviously which I know, he told me he had a proposal which would guarantee a Snoopy within 3 to 4 weeks.

That proposal was for me to buy another watch from another brand from a 'pre-approved' list.

The cheapest watch on that list was $30k, and there was no guarantee that the cheapest would be approved by the AD head office to secure the Snoopy. I would guess it would have taken a $40k+ watch to obtain approval.

The brands on the list were Glashutte, Blancpain, Breguet, Jaquet Droz (and one or two others I can't remember). All 'approved' watches were complicated and unpopular dress watches which they obviously can't shift. I would guess the purchase would have to be made at full retail price too.

Part of his reasoning was that a) I seemed like a genuine guy and they want to 'help' genuine collectors, b) I spend upwards of $40k plus the cost of the snoopy and I would be better off than buying grey market even if I sold the 'approved' watch for half of the price I paid for it and c) I would have to spend $100k plus to get any hot watch from Rolex.

I left the store feeling pretty disgusted to be honest. I won't be stepping foot inside an Omega boutique in this part of the world again.

I love my Omegas, but sadly this experience has really soured things and I won't be buying any more.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote