View Single Post
Old 28 July 2022, 04:32 PM   #737
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
A little story for you guys......

A few weeks ago I popped into my dealer where I live to ask about the status of my 'order'.

I had placed myself on the waitlist for this watch almost immediately after it was announced. I've lost track of when that was but I think maybe 2 years ago?

I do have history with this dealer as I've bought 2 other Omega plus a few Montblanc pens (and other watch accessories).

After a little chat and being told how difficult they were to obtain etc, obviously which I know, he told me he had a proposal which would guarantee a Snoopy within 3 to 4 weeks.

That proposal was for me to buy another watch from another brand from a 'pre-approved' list.

The cheapest watch on that list was $30k, and there was no guarantee that the cheapest would be approved by the AD head office to secure the Snoopy. I would guess it would have taken a $40k+ watch to obtain approval.

The brands on the list were Glashutte, Blancpain, Breguet, Jaquet Droz (and one or two others I can't remember). All 'approved' watches were complicated and unpopular dress watches which they obviously can't shift. I would guess the purchase would have to be made at full retail price too.

Part of his reasoning was that a) I seemed like a genuine guy and they want to 'help' genuine collectors, b) I spend upwards of $40k plus the cost of the snoopy and I would be better off than buying grey market even if I sold the 'approved' watch for half of the price I paid for it and c) I would have to spend $100k plus to get any hot watch from Rolex.

I left the store feeling pretty disgusted to be honest. I won't be stepping foot inside an Omega boutique in this part of the world again.

I love my Omegas, but sadly this experience has really soured things and I won't be buying any more.
Makes sense, they were trying to get you to bundle with one of the Swatch Group brands which include Omega, Glashutte, Blancpain, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, Breguet, also Longines, Rado, Tissot, Union, Balmain, Certina, Hamilton, Mido, Harry Winston, Leon Hatot, flik-flak, & of course Swatch. If this is an AD (which it seems like it is) I think you are fighting an uphill battle even with bundling. If you are to have any success, it will likely be with an O.B. Did you leave a deposit with this AD when you expressed interest??