View Single Post
Old 14 October 2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Omega Planet Ocean chronograph - brief report

Did a spot of shopping today, and of course I couldn't help but check out the AD and the new PO chrono they've got in stock. Boy, it is one big watch.
The diameter is fine, due to the layout of the dial being very well proportioned & organised, but it sits very, very high on the wrist. Almost a little too high for my taste, so forget about wearing this if you have french cuffs, or even tight normal ones! It seems as if the watch is very 'round', which certainly doesn't help the height either. The chrono pushers were also a little big for my taste.

Now, those are about the only negative I could find. This watch feels solid, and Omega have really excelled with regards to build quality. The new bezel is just great and is just so sure and exact when you turn it. Each 'click' is like the locking of a deadbolt - it's not going to budge an inch. I must say this is a vast improvement over the seamaster's scalloped bezel in terms of grip and useability.

As usual, Omega have brought out another fantastic bracelet. All the wonderful simplicity of a speedmaster bracelet, with the toughness and solidity of the seamaser bond bracelet. This thing won't stretch one millimeter.

Colour is also interesting on the PO chrono (no ed...I won't say the O word for your sake). The dial is not quite black, it's more of a coalish colour, with a nice matte finish that still has a lustre to it, almost like super fine grit black sandpaper. The variety is also good, you can get a black bezel & black face with white numerals, or with orange (sorry ed!) numbers - this is a winning combo IMO.

So, overall first impressions were good: Fantastic build quality, great looks, and of course the new co-ax movement. But, the entire package is let down a bit by the height of it, just in my opinion. It should sit flatter on the wrist, and not look like you have two soup plates strapped on. Oh... it's also heavy, but it's a comforting heft.

No, I didn't buy one... list was just over $7K australian, and I can think of other watches I'd buy at that price. But, if this is the direction that Omega is travelling, I certainly look forward to seeing what the future holds!