View Single Post
Old 26 September 2022, 01:00 AM   #15
Champagnepapi
"TRF" Member

Strange happenings in Hong Kong - grey market dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
As people on this forum may know I’m obsessed with watches, even when I’ve just bought one I’d still go out the next day to try on others just for the heck of it.

Been eyeing up some Daydates in the past few days and just asked the dealer how much I’d get if I part exchanged my gold 15500 which is new, even though I’ve got no intention of flipping it but just curious about the p-ex value. Well I was surprised when the 1st dealer said he wouldn’t take it in.

So I went to another dealer in a different area of HK, he also said the same thing. And this happened another 2 more times. Why could this be? Is it because the value of AP is quite volatile recently & they’ve been burnt? But then again all watches have gone down a bit recently. The 2nd shop also mentioned they only trade Rolex & have stopped trading any other brand.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

So just clarify- you are obsessed with watches or with the market value?… you have no intentions of flipping what u have… and you tried the pieces you were interested in on. Yet just because he wouldn’t take yours in or give you an estimate on it you went to 3 other dealers to check if they would? Lol that sounds as believable as the small margins the greys claim they get [emoji23]

In regards to the subject: Currently Grey Dealers seem to prefer Consignment vs buying more stock they struggle to sell immediately. Even the dealers that were claiming a few months back they would never do consignments. Dealers will only do trade ins if they can slaughter you on the price ( ie you give them a 15500 and get a 116500 with no cash) so then they can sell the 15500 and make profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Champagnepapi is offline   Reply With Quote