View Single Post
Old 11 October 2022, 12:47 AM   #115
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

Rolex v Grand Seiko?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Both brands have plenty of over-hypers and baseless haters. All I can say is everyone needs to see a watch in person to really know. My level of disappointment after finally seeing a Sky-Dweller in person was only eclipsed by my disappointment in seeing an Omiwatari. And on that latter day I first saw a JLC Master Control, which I previously had no interest in, but shortly thereafter purchased.

We all like different things. Trying to convince somebody else to adopt your watch preference is like trying to tell them what their favorite food should be.

I had the same experience when I saw the Omiwatari in person for the first time. It was really underwhelming.

I’ve slimmed down my GS to just one LE diver SBGA071. Typical excellent finishing as expected on any GS.

Used to own a SBGC221 & SBGJ239 but sold them to make way for a sky-dweller.

The Rolex sky-dweller is my favourite watch.

It’s the most functionally useful wrist watch in my collection (annual calendar / second time zone / 100m WR so no fear of entering a pool or shower). Perfect for idiots like myself who can never remember dates. Helps that they didn’t integrate additional crowns / pushers to set the calendar.

Love the JLC MC series, particularly the MC calendar. But the recessed pin pusher was a deal breaker for me. It makes me nervous because of how it feels like an invitation for water ingress.

The next grail watch would be a Ulysse Nardin perpetual manufacture (GMT + perpetual calendar that can be set backward and forward).

There’s definitely space in any collection for both brands.

The value proposition of GS though, has diminished substantially since the new series 9 launch. MSRP makes it really hard to stomach. I’d only go pre-owned or look at the Seiko prospex LX / Tudor range now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote