View Single Post
Old 23 October 2022, 07:10 AM   #120
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I think GS is always going to fight an uphill battle because of the "Seiko" part of their name. Sadly, this association seems to be getting worse. The forums are littered with QC issues on cheaper (but not really cheap) Seiko models. Years back I used to brag about the rock solid performance of my $200 Seiko divers. But now I have friends with newer models approaching $1000 and having multiple issues.

I guess what I'm saying is "Seiko makes a hell of a watch for $200, imagine what they can do for $6000" sounded a lot more compelling than "I'm paying $6000 for a watch made by the same company who can't get a bezel aligned on a $1000 watch, whose movements seem less reliable than the previous generation, and whose bracelets rattle like a dog collar?"

Granted, one of those jabs might apply to Rolex too [emoji56]
I agree, Seiko name is an anchor. Love GS, but's its not a Rolex. Name recognition and value retention is a major win for Rolex. I know all about the history of the Seiko name, but GS will never get the status it DESERVES until they brand it under another name. Too many levels of the same name with Seiko, from $200 to 10K doesn't work IMHO
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote