View Single Post
Old 26 October 2022, 11:45 AM   #1
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Question for our American TRF members, would you rather receive a Tip or good manners

Good evening.

I’m holidaying with my family here in Mexico. We have our little son (20 months) with us. He’s made the trip all the way from the UK. 10 hour flight. We are trying to expose him to different cuisines and make fantastic memories with him.

While I sit here relaxing in the evening after a struggle to get my boy to sleep. I’m thinking about the holiday so far. It’s been a bit of a culture shock witnessing how (I ll be honest) the vast majority of Americans guests are treating the Mexican hotel staff. The bar staff, the restaurants, the buffet or the coffee shop.

I might add. I have done a fair bit of travelling in my time. 6 weeks across the states included so i believe I’m qualified to mention it. As a Brit that’s very fond of America.

What I am seeing is a huge lack of basic manners towards the staff. For example, if a waiter comes over to ask you if you would like coffee and proceeds to fill your cup. You better say thank you at the very least! Barking orders at the man cooking your omelet, really highlights the type of person you are.

The interesting part of this is, after ignoring your waiter for 30 mins. Or being rude or impolite to the bloke that’s making your Margarita or decaf latte while your three kids discuss what flavour ice cream they would like today. You hand over a $1 tip.

In the states does giving a tip warrant the use of bad manners? Or dare I say it, are your neighbours over the border looked upon as beneath you?

I am genuinely interested to find out if this is the same at home in the States? Or do these people change their tune as soon as they land in Cancun and purchase their huge refillable cups.

Of course this is tongue in cheek as I’ve met some fantastic Americans over the years, that I consider to be friends. I’m curious about the tipping situation in exchange for good manners. For clarification, are we tipping when we feel it’s appropriate and have received good service.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk