Thread: Electric cars.
View Single Post
Old 15 December 2022, 10:50 AM   #83
KokPingBalzac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
Where do all those old batteries go ?
There is significant investment being made in EV battery manufacturing, solar panel manufacturing, EV manufacturing, semiconductors, green hydrogen projects, decarbonization efforts led by companies like occidental petroleum, smaller scale nuclear energy, "circular economy" like producing natural gas from landfill waste. Just saw an article the other day of how Dow chemical and waste management are partnering up to try to create ways to recycle crappy types of plastic like the ones used in shopping bags and gatorade bottles. Pretty cool things happening right now at the intersections of the technology, industrials, and energy sectors that will create a lot of specialized engineering jobs and higher quality manufacturing jobs. Very exciting new industries that are in the early innings of a long long growth cycle.

Many of these batteries will be recycled over time so that's good that they'll be able so salvage some of the raw materials in them and dispose of toxic stuff properly. Just saw an article today on axios announcing a new $3.5B EV battery manufacturing and recycling plant to be built in South Carolina. The sunbelt/rust belt is getting lots of investment in these types of projects- I have seen at least 4 other big multi billion dollar renewables projects announced just in the past month or two.

I just ordered a new Ford Mach-E Premium in Vapor Blue Metallic. Extended range AWD... very excited to take delivery in 6 months just in time to be done with winter! I prefer the lines of this car to the teslas and when I test drove it the handling, braking felt very similar to my current BMW SUV.