View Single Post
Old 20 December 2022, 04:22 AM   #11
bart12
"TRF" Member

Reviving this old thread as I took delivery of the 321 earlier this month and because reading through these comments really made me identify a pattern that most "321 ignorants" will only have become a member of this forum post 2016 aka once the insta/easy money/crypto watch mania started.

Just to make things clear, the Daytona is my all-time favourite watch and I own a few of them. Having said that, I can't find one thing Omega has done wrong with the 321. Yes the pricing is steep at first sight, but you get a lot of value for it, it almost feels like a bit of haute horlogerie and reminds me more of an AP 15202 than a current production Daytona.

Of course you can't compare Rolex with Omega as they follow a completely different approach. Rolex would never reissue a 6263, instead they almost behave like a girl that knows exactly how to tease and who gives you just enough to get your d*** hard but won't finish "the job" knowing damn well what should be done (e.g. all black subdials? sure but only on the 18k Daytona and no it won't look like a Lemon PN). And yes, this is exactly what keeps us (me included) coming back for more.

Omega really put a lot of effort in making the 321 like a time capsule catapulting you into the 60s but with today's production standards. Scratch-proof ceramic bezel that looks exactly like the original, sapphire crystal that can't be compared to the one of the "regular" Speedy pro, 1:1 reproduction of the 321 movement (which has existed since the 1940s, went to the moon, is accurate enough for daily use and even offers 60hrs PR [remind me, since when does Rolex offer 70/72h PR again?], a beautifully executed flat-link bracelet with solid center links and finally, NO fauxtina (as many have clarified before and which would be a no-go for me as well), all done in a dedicated workshop.

All of this really makes it hard for me to say that the 116500LN is the better offering at MSRP (let alone at grey market pricing), especially since the recent price hikes. A better everyday watch or one and done, yes. But better bang-per-buck? No.

It's going to be interesting to see whether Omega will really release a 105.012 or 145.012 with a 321 on January 3 and if so, if they would already discontinue the Ed White (which I don't think so) and what all of that would do to grey market prices of the Ed White post the MoonSwatch crazyness.
bart12 is offline   Reply With Quote