Thread: Electric cars.
View Single Post
Old 22 December 2022, 03:51 AM   #148
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
You know what, that is an excellent point. I am beginning to think Americans are more upset with the government (practically) MANDATING that they switch to non-ICE vehicles than actually making the transition. I think there will still be significant resistance until EVs equal ICE in all areas, price, range, convenience, but IMHO that will happen.
We are driving our EV and enjoying it. Beyond the tax breaks, I do enjoy the car and tech.

HOWEVER...

On two different road trips through CA this summer I was reminded of just how far we have to go. During heat waves in the San Joaquin Valley, charging speed wanes, the number of inoperable chargers increases, and warnings from the state about power grid limitations are real.

All of the promise of the future doesn't mean much when I'm melting in Coalinga waiting to use one of the 50% of chargers still operating, while commiserating with other EV drivers about the difficulties. Theatre of the absurd a few times now.

That's the reality; if you're not simply charging at home, the system sucks. CA needs a major power grid overhaul and their answer is to instead overburden the old one via mandate. It's a bit of a clown show at its base.

And now that the political vilification begins of the company with the best charging network, who really knows what's next. Long way to go still.

But rah rah rah EVs in CA!!!