View Single Post
Old 21 January 2023, 03:42 AM   #57
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
My best friend was from a “crappy start”. He went into the military, used GI Bill to get a degree, worked hard all his life, and retired a multi-millionaire. Opportunities are not guarantees of equal outcome, but there isn’t inherent inequality in the available opportunities.
While you aren't a fan of the thread, which is fine, I don't think anecdotal instances of some people doing well and others not doing well is what the model is trying to demonstrate.

It's not about hard work and getting the brass ring, it's above the street level, community level and country level.

It's the global phenomena of the results of zero sum game ideas and the end result is always one tiny group of winners and massive number of losers.

One could try to envision a world in say 30 years where very very few people control everything. Maybe for some that would be a good outcome. But it wasn't the dream of what democracy would deliver. Maybe democracy is an outdated idea. Lots of people don't like it. By design is pretty chaotic.

Maybe one world autocrat is better. No decisions to make.

Wouldn't be my choice but that's what the future may hold. But fewer and fewer people are now making the decisions because they have the money. My read of the model is just explaining how it's happening.