View Single Post
Old 6 February 2023, 05:45 AM   #16
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
Whoever told you that would be CORRECT! Thanks so much for sharing this watch and the story that goes with it. I love this kinda stuff! That is a very cool piece. Looking forward to the restoration journey and to seeing it when you're all done.

Just out of curiosity, are you doing a full restoration? Or, just a clean up and service/repair to get it working again? I am thinking if you just cleaned up the dial, date wheel, hands and only replaced the crystal.....the patina'd look would be a cool piece to wear just like that!
I am trying to figure out what I'm doing as we go. People have offered different opinions and I'm trying to reconcile it all in my mind.

My original thought was to replace the crystal and bezel insert and keep everything else as much as possible. The dial looks horrendous, though, and I suspect I'm going to end up with a new one as well as a date wheel and bezel insert. At that point it's going to essentially look new, so why not get new hands as well?

I can understand the concept of keeping things as period-correct and original as possible. What I'm debating is what is truly important here. This watch will never be sold, as far as I'm concerned, so its resale value is of little importance to me. I would like something that first and foremost runs, and second reminds my father in law (and me, and whoever it gets handed down to) of what it is and what it can be. To me that means it just needs to look good and keeping it 100% original is a very low priority.
some.idiot is offline   Reply With Quote