View Single Post
Old 22 March 2023, 10:55 AM   #20
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
I bought a Skyflake last year, specifically since I had to go to a wedding in Mexico City, didn't want to wear anything too noticeable, but wanted to wear a real watch. I ended up getting CV and couldn't go to the wedding, but it was an excuse to buy a watch I really ended up loving more than I expected to. I also have a 3861, and it wears quite a bit smaller than the 42mm it's claimed to be. It is night and day better than the last Speedy IMO, particularly the hacking movement and bracelet. I bought them both so you know what I'd tell you to do! Both are true watch-lovers pieces that will have you finding new friends who notice what you're wearing. If you have to pick, I'd base it on which watch best fits your dress and lifestyle. The GS is most definitely a dressier piece, but you can dress up a Speedy with straps. I'd also consider something from Glashutte Original, which was also on my list of under-the-radar watches with legit watch cred. I'm a big fan of the Sixties Annual Limited Edition with the blue dial.
Great advice indeed. I think the Skyflake is better "value" for the price than the speedy (they're about the same price on the secondary market). Even though it's an apples to oranges comparison, I think the date function on the skyflake is more useful to daily wear than the speedy. Plus, theres SO many speedy's available, and yes the 3861 is really a great upgrade, but if I can snag a pre owned 1861 down the line for under 4K, thats something that cant be said of the skyflake. Also, the skyflake is just unlike any other watch in terms of looks - rarely are blue dial watches that shade of blue. Certainly a stand out piece in a collection moreso than the more utilitarian speedy.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote