View Single Post
Old 26 May 2023, 09:48 PM   #7
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Having owned both, the Hesalite is truer to the original and makes the watch feel more like a "tool" watch or a "beater" or whatever you want to call it. Again, this is just feel. That said, it also feels cheaper even though it isn't by any metric other than price. I think the Hesalite is really good for someone who wants the most modern interpretation of the original watch. To me, it's the "truest" Speedmaster.

The sapphire crystal (if you own other higher end watches) will feel more in line with what you are used to. It does feel higher quality even though this is really a subjective feeling. It isn't just the crystal that does this. The applied logo, polished intermediate links, sapphire caseback make the watch feel more high end even though these are subtle design variations. The sapphire model is for people who want the model that falls in line with the direction Omega is going. The sapphire crystal Speedmaster is basically identical in design to the precious metal versions Omega is producing. To that end, I think of it as the new standard whereas the Hesalite is more homage. To me, the sapphire is the one that most belongs alongside Rolex, IWC, or whatever else you collect.

Which one to go with? Entirely up to you. You can't go wrong. I really only "upgraded" to sapphire from Hesalite because I was going from the 1861 movement to the 3861 movement and aside from the bracelet and other minor cosmetic choices, I needed a way to justify selling a watch, putting in money, only to buy almost the same watch.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote