View Single Post
Old 24 June 2023, 08:58 PM   #72
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well most all gold polishing cloths are made from 100% woven cotton and not microfibre. Although impregnated with a cleaning item I am sure if they thought cotton would harm the metal they would not use a cotton based material .Although not gold or have PCL except sides of SD bracelet and polished case sides. This SD had seen more use and sometimes abuse that most of todays Rolex watches will see in 10 lifetimes. And while working on the liveaboards as dive guide PADI instructor it got rubbed cleaned with whatever I could clean it with. Although it was wet with sea water in general when doing it but on surface got rubbed in say cotton towels or whatever even wet swimming trunks. Now 23 year old still ticking and looking good today without the need of any special cloths.

Picture below of a real working tool Rolex watch which is seldom seen with todays mainly pampered watches.

That's quite true, but those same cloths are designed to be slightly abrasive in combination with the impregnated compound. And as the material is worked the compound breaks down in the cloth getting finer and finer and for the best results you should buff off the residual haze of cleaning compound with a soft microfiber finishing cloth.

Now, Peter, your picture (fantastic watch, by the way, my 16600 is the one I'll be wearing in the zombie apocalypse) is a little misleading is it not.

Was that not taken immediately after a full RSC service and refinishing?

I really couldn't care what anyone uses to clean their watch. Or their car. or anything.

But if someone does, and is seeking help from the forum with a simple question, is there really any need to challenge that person's choice of cleaning materials?

He didn't ask "what type of cloth will do"

Any mirror polished surface on any Rolex will be subject to micro marring over time unless never worn. Employing sub optimal cleaning methods and materials will also create micro marring (and worse) The more marring there is, the worse it will get. Now that will be addressed at service, but with 10 year service intervals that may be some time.

If someone is fine with the dulling over time, then that's great. But there is no need for anyone on this forum to criticise anyone for wanting to keep their luxury item (and let's not fool ourselves that Rolex watches are "tools" anymore) looking as nice as they can for as long as they can.

Live and let live

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote