View Single Post
Old 14 July 2023, 01:06 AM   #163
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Having owned various Rolex watches since the 90's, and a DJ41 (with 3235 movement) from 2017 to 2019, I'm currently waiting for another DJ41 this year and happened to spot one of the "3235 problem" threads yesterday and so Googled "Rolex 3235 problem" where I saw many more.

Owners complaining they'd sent theirs back to the RSC several times and "had to sell it" before the 5 year warranty was up. Really? It's a Rolex, it wasn't designed to be accurate, or was it...?

The real issue of course is Rolex claiming that accuracy of +2/-2 seconds a day. So naturally you expect it to perform, in the same way as you expect your Porsche to do 0-60 in x seconds and your Tesla to do 350 miles, or whatever they claim. Hello... its not going to happen!

So Rolex have perhaps dug a hole for themselves insofar as having wooed the burgeoning crowd (as if they needed to) with the 2 second claim and then seeing 3235 models come back in because they're losing 3 seconds a day. Clever marketing and a bullish claim, but stupid at the same time when they had no need to boast COSC certification, really, now did they?

Neither my DJ36 or Sub Date (pre-ceramic) were particularly accurate and you get used to that as a Rolex owner. It's a mechanical device swung around on your arm so it's not going to be that accurate. But I never minded having to reset the time on the odd occasion I noticed it was slightly out. I never minded that brief fiddle with the crown instead of the more distant relationship I have with my Casio Edifice where we almost never get intimate unless I'm changing the battery every three to four years.

My first DJ41 3235 was unbelievably accurate. I recall for the first year it was +/- 0 seconds, yes spot on. I think it lost that accuracy after the first year, perhaps to my relief as I then didn't want to check it was still exactly in sync with timeis.com every other day. It had at last become a normal Rolex, it had reached maturity. Phew!

But having seen all the (alleged) outraged 3235 owners yesterday I did some due diligence today. Not being able to contact my usual, most trusted, AD from whom I bought the 2017 DJ41 and my wife's DJ31 I phoned another AD I'd dealt with previously. He's been a Rolex dealer for 30 years. I asked him about the 3235 debacle and he had no idea there was one. If he was lying to help Rolex in the "cover up" and to keep his AD status then he is a very convincing liar. Sure they get some 3235 movement models going back to Rolex as they do with every model, every movement, but there's nothing exceptional about the 3235's reliability compared to others. I believe him.

Next, a call to the RSC at St. James. Again, no knowledge of any special issues affecting this particular movement. I believe her.

The naysayers will now be shouting "that's what we said they would say, you idiot" but I'm purely reporting back what I heard and what I believe.

Then my own AD calls me back at last. As established firm over 125 years ago, I'm speaking to my contact, a director, who has another director and the owner in the same room. He asks the others if they've had 3235 models with timekeeping issues coming back under warranty. I hear the others say "no." I continue the discussion whilst my AD is tapping away, Googling "Rolex 3235 problems." He sees the forum threads and reads a few, chuckling.
Chuckling? Yes, because he knows it's nonsense. I throw into the mix that perhaps it's just ONE Rolex buyer with multiple forum names who's trying to put everyone else off 3235 models so he can move up the list! Anyhow, my own trusted AD who I know very well and trust implicitly is telling me it's really not an issue, don't worry. And he's put my mind at rest.

This won't put your mind at rest if you really expect a Rolex to keep +2/-2 seconds a day, as promised.
It won't, or it won't for long.
Then as it fades into 5 secs per day, 15 secs per day, 100 secs per day, you have to decide at what point you feel aggrieved enough to send it for service. Under 5 years? In year 8? Year 17? Yes, it WILL need servicing at some points, either for timekeeping or some other issue. It's a mechanical device, like your car is too. And like a car it WILL cost you money. Like an exotic car it will cost you MORE money than a run of the mill brand.

But that's what we all want isn't it? An exclusive, sorry I mean elusive, status symbol watch which everyone recognises for it's quality and value... and quirky inexact timekeeping.
For that you have to pay, and keep on paying, and put up with crown fiddling ever more frequently the older you both together grow.

This is my experience and opinion as a long term Rolex owner of 30+ years.
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote