Thread: Transylvania
View Single Post
Old 27 July 2023, 03:44 AM   #19
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Wonderful trip Jesse. This is on my bucket list but I think it may happen in the next year or two as my daughters are huge Wednesday fans.

If you don’t mind my asking… how old was your wife when she emigrated and how does she feel the area has changed since she initially left?
Thanks Jason - highly recommend going sooner if you can; such a beautiful and very underrated region. Other places get all the love but we were truly amazed at the beauty there.

My wife moved over when she was around 9 from the Constanta / Mamaia side, which is the Eastern shore of the country. The beach has always been a get-away, so she remembers it fondly. What has changed more is Bucharest itself. I'll mention this again when I post the Bucharest photos, but they've really tried to give it that "old town" European feel, when in actuality it was under Communist rule for the better part of the last century.

I still think Bucharest is worth a visit and they are doing things to clean it up, but it really pales in comparison to cities like Paris, Budapest, Prague, etc.

The gem is the Transylvania region, and the other cities that we missed this time around (Timisoara, Cluj Napoca). Look up the fortified churches of Transylvania as well!