View Single Post
Old 31 October 2006, 08:34 AM   #1
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Grovana Coral reef review

This watch is obviously paying homage to the Sub date and if you check my previous post for the Steinhart you will see they are remarkably alike. This is because Grovana has a private labelling facility which Steinhart and others make use of.

The quality of the watch is outstanding, I purchased mine for £275 after haggling with the retailer who begrudgingly finally gave me the discount. Full UK retail price is £350 and apparently due to increase again.

Here are the technical stats of the watch:

It uses a modified ETA calibre 2824
All Stainless steel and Swiss made in the Grovana facility
The sapphire crystal is 2.5mm thick
2 year international warranty
Screw in crown which is signed with the Grovana symbol
Case back is signed Grovana of Switzerland
Case: 316L solid stainless steel, screwdown crown and back, sweep seconds
Size: 42mm diameter, 46mm incl. crown, 13mm thick
Weight: 6.8 oz including bracelet
Dial: Black, 30mm, markers/hands Super-LumiNova C1 (white)
Glass: Sapphire crystal with date window mag. power 2.5
Bezel: Black, uni-directional bezel
Water Resistant: 1000 feet (300 meters)
Bracelet: 22mm SS oyster bracelet with screwed links and solid end pieces
Clasp: Stainless steel with safety clasp and wetsuit extension

The watch appears to be exceptionally engineered for the price point, and thats not saying that £350 is a small amount of money, but traditionally if alternative well known brandings were placed on the dial, I would expect to pay nearer the £1000 mark.

As I'm driving I keep glancing at the watch, its lines and finish are sheer beauty and I am grateful to Rolex for designing a timeless and classic design.

I would of like more effort to be put into the presentation box, its a simple and quite small white presentation box with the relevant markings, but there again I suppose anything fancier would only add to the total cost of the watch, so in my view its a bit of a trade off.

I would highly recommend this watch to any WIS. I have since sold the Steinhart only because with at least the the name of Grovana on the dial, there is a little heritage assocation which I like. Sad I know but this is now my one and only watch.

However I would add Steinhart customer service is unbelievably good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg movement.jpg (62.6 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg case-with-turning-bezel.jpg (62.8 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg coralblack.jpg (64.3 KB, 447 views)