View Single Post
Old 21 August 2023, 08:27 AM   #26
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldlisturb3d View Post
Yes I can’t put it in the right category…. Is it a field watch? A pilots watch? It’s sorta misplaced but I love it!
"A HOMAGE TO AVIATION
The Air-King symbolizes the privileged relationship between Rolex and flying during the golden age of aviation in the 1930s. It pays tribute to the pilots of the era and the Oyster’s role in their epic story.

The 1930s was a period when spectacular progress in aircraft performance constantly expanded humanity’s capacity to conquer the skies and led to the introduction of long-distance flights. Several pilots set records while wearing an Oyster. Others used a Rolex watch as an on-board chronometer. Among these airborne adventurers was the English aviator Charles Douglas Barnard. Of the Oyster, he said: “The peculiar qualities of this Rolex watch render it eminently suitable for flying purposes and I propose to use it on all my long-distance flights in the future.” In 1933, Oyster watches accompanied the Houston Expedition as it made the first-ever flight over Mount Everest at an altitude exceeding 10,000 metres (33,000 feet) in extreme weather conditions. In 1934, Owen Cathcart[1]Jones and Ken Waller made a return voyage from London (United Kingdom) to Melbourne (Australia) in record time with a twin-engine De Havilland Comet, using a Rolex Oyster as their on-board chronometer."

https://newsroom.rolex.com/watches/o...ction/air-king

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote