View Single Post
Old 5 September 2023, 10:03 AM   #32
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I have been thinking lately of adding a second daily use fountain pen into the mix.

My Platinum Izumo Urushi is absolutely fabulous to use after receiving the tip on the forum to try Iroshizuku ink, which has totally transformed how the pen writes.

I’m very patient to add a second pen, and indeed, will enjoy reading up on the options - but as you will know, the choices are so vast, it’s hard for a novice to know where to begin.

I’m in two camps really- either go for something similar, but ‘better’ such as a Nakaya cigar/dorsal fin.

Or - go for something totally different, probably European, and here I’ve been reading about the Pelikan M1000.

My thoughts with something totally different are that I’ll potentially have a second pen that gets a good amount of use….but, if I go for another nice urushi pen, will I ultimately end up just not using my current platinum, if I find something I prefer.

Any thoughts or recommendations on what to research more into would be well received.

I’m hoping in the summer to get into London and find a quality pen shop to test a few different options out as well.
I absolutely adore my Nakaya pens! I had to wait about 8 months for both of them. They're very simple pens. Nothing too exotic about them. Pretty much off the shelf Platinum hardware but, if you appreciate the tradition and methods to produce them, they're spectacular. You're also very much assured that they will run great out of the box. Never had to work on anything that I got from Platinum. There are small differences between the nibs on the two Nakaya's that I have. Both are music nibs but the feedback is slightly different. I assume this is due to the nibsmith.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote