Thread: 16800 or 16610
View Single Post
Old 7 January 2024, 11:28 AM   #3
Newbie2277
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
I own two 16610s and love them to death. But I’ve always lusted after the 16800 “palletoni”matte dials. They are simply gorgeous!

As far as resale value, I doubt that you’d have any issues making up the difference in a short period of time. You wouldn’t be “waiting” a decade. They are very few and far between - truly a rarity in Rolex land. Anyone who tells you otherwise is, unfortunately, misinformed. That means there will always be a market for them. And as I’m sure you know, for rare pieces, prices can quickly get away from any potential buyer. They have a strong following to be sure!

The only thing I will say is that they aren’t the most robust. And that isn’t a “dig” at the watch, but rather the fact that the lume plots become brittle as all hell. It’s important to consider your lifestyle and how often and during what occasions you’d want to wear a palletoni. Any tritium piece with sufficiently aged luminescence will require special care.

But I’m in camp palletoni for sure!!!
Thank you, very good info to have! I've also read about the paint on the tritium dial flaking off on some. Honestly, I'd probably baby it. Definitely wouldn't plan on getting it in or really near any water...just wear it for normal day to day wear. Do the tritium plots on the early 16610s have the same issues? I just LOVE the matte dial of the 16800 but of course don't want the lume plots flaking off lol. Wonder if I should throw in a later 16610 with the luminova to the mix for consideration...this vintage world can lead down the longest rabbit holes lol.
Newbie2277 is offline   Reply With Quote