View Single Post
Old 14 January 2024, 07:20 AM   #73
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchguynyc8300 View Post
Lot of defense of poor AD experience on this thread. It has become a pretty terrible buying experience. I’d say some folks haven’t been through enough economic cycles to realize that if you treat customers poor enough after a long enough time it comes back to bite you. A lot of the watch grey retailers are sitting on hung inventory with thin margins (and they are the biggest buyers from the ADs). Unless the brand has really reached escape velocity, these things tend to move in long term fashion trends.

I will say walking into a Rolex AD vs say Loro Piana is a vastly difference experience these days. As some have said Hermes is like the Rolex AD these days. Loro Piana however is all smiles and super high touch sales service with no arrogance and aim to get customer the best service possible (ie - sure I’ll messenger your jacket home, since you don’t feel like walking around with a huge shoppping bag all day)

I think people are “defending” it because they don’t see the experience as poor. I’m treated with respect and I like talking to the people about watches. I also understand that for the watch I want, there are likely 50 people in line for it too, so I don’t expect to walk in and get what I want and am willing to wait. So I don’t get mad when I can’t get something. I’ve gotten three steel Rolexes that way.

I guess I know if a bunch of other people want what I want, why should I expect them to sell to me over someone else? So I don’t feel slighted when I don’t always get what I want. It’s a good attitude to take to life in general. You’ll be happier.