View Single Post
Old 23 January 2024, 02:03 PM   #25
Sixeven
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for the input. As I had said earlier, the model number and serial number were worn away. However, I was able to determine the serial number was 6 digits and started with a 5. The movement and serial number would date this late 50s to 1960. As others have said, I believe this to be a AirKing 5506 with a terrible redial. The plated/capped case, hands, and crystal are all consistent with a 5506. The case is marked with the "40" and "KB" as shown on the recent pictures. The dial is the outlier.

Unfortunately, The watch case is in rough shape and very dirty. It was found jumbled into a mix of assorted estate jewelry and caught my eye due to the odd dial. Like I first said, I thought it to be fake until I discovered the genuine movement. In a testament to Rolex movements, the watch still works and keeps reasonable time. Perhaps I might make it a project to get it a new dial and see what I can make of it although a complete rebuild is not likely cost effective.

It proved to be a fun little mystery for a bit and I learned about capped/plated watch cases. A win win!
Sixeven is offline   Reply With Quote