View Single Post
Old 14 February 2024, 10:11 PM   #4
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Thats insane! You used to be able to buy these things for $800-900 all day long. No one wanted them
Yeah you did, but not the Ranger 2 Orange hand they were c $1300!!

Mind you, in 1981 after selling my Yamaha RD400f for £795.... and feeling a bit flush I went to see my A.D. Upchurch in Colchester UK.

In the window he had a 1655 at list £397, but with an unheard of 40% off.

I walked in said 'what's with the discount on the watch ? You hardly ever discount Rolex !'

He then went on to bemoan he had 4 in stock which he'd had for 4 or 5 years and nobody wants them since they came out a decade ago.

Anyway, to cut to chase, I liked it very much (quirky i love), and twisted his arm to sell me two on a buy-one-get-one-free deal. :-)

I'm sure he was more delighted than me with the deal ( to halve his stock ) I suspect.

I gifted one to a pal for his 21st. They were 7 no's apart on serial number....both of us still have them.

Fast forward on a decade to 1991 they were still very unloved.

This was apparent as many dealers/buyers in Newspapers /Magazines ads saying 'We buy Rolex - No Explorer 2 or Daytonas though please' ! Crazy Days !!!

In the last 30 yrs however of course it's gone from unloved ugly duckling to highly sought after...

Now of course I don't think the Integrales will mirror that, but it's getting recognition at last and I personally love them for the 3D dial effect, 38 mm heft, scalopped bracelet and dare I say it again - quirkiness !
Why he was so happy if he had the time
Everybody Gets To Go To The Moon - Jimmy Webb
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote