View Single Post
Old 3 March 2024, 07:32 AM   #136
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
My AP Las Vegas “Journey” - A Cautionary Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
You're willfully ignoring the point (as one would expect in internet "discussions") - the original SA sold the OP 9 watches at a time when most of them (6 or 7 out of 9) where in high demand and would instantly have gone to the next person on the list, had OP declined. From early '21 to late '22, OP acquired a nice collection of moderately hot watches at retail. I fail to see how he is the victim during that part of the story. That the SA then left was obviously unfortunate.

The baffling/ridiculous part to me is that someone who has been collecting watches for 35 years, and is somehow in a position to spend $200k/year on trinkets, is unable to say 'Thanks for thinking of me, that's a nice watch, but I'd rather wait for my preferred dial/color combo. Looking forward to hearing from you soon'. And for the Music Edition - it takes a single glance to realize that the 37mm wears totally differently from the requested 43mm version. Unless held at gun point, why fork over $35k for something that is obviously not what one wants?

Does it really matter that they are in demand, over list, or a grail in anyone else’s eyes? He was led to believe and told by his SA that buying the watches offered, which mostly were ones he didn’t want or not in the configuration he wanted, would lead to a grail. And the SA suggested he had to buy, continually. Once a quarter…I mean, wtf is that? If that’s not preposterous, I don’t know what is.

Should the OP have stopped after $200,000? $300,000? Sure.

But the fact remains, he was misled. It was disingenuous by the SA.