View Single Post
Old 9 March 2024, 04:18 PM   #65
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I mean, the people in these pictures....it's just that they represent a return to the robber barons of the early industrial age, and the aristocracy of the medieval period.

So much poverty and pain and need in their respective countries (US, India, England, etc.) and such ostentatiousness for a wedding...they'll probably never wear these clothes and trinkets again.

As for the watches, extraordinary timepieces for a special occasion, I get it. But the sad thing is that they probably have a floor to ceiling safe full of similar timepieces. So how special are these that they are wearing....in a relative sense. I think I would have been more impressed if there was more constraint in what they wore.

I don't know....it just seems too much. And the groom....he just seems to scream gluttony.

Sorry, it just made me feel like this world does not have much more patience before something really big, and bad, will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I don't own a Patek, and I probably never will.

I get it. It's not like we discuss 3rd world problems here. But there are degrees of consumption, and that display is pretty extreme, especially in a country where desperate poverty, honor killings, gang rapes, and a rigid caste system are real problems.

Being sensitive isn't going the change that reality.

I have identified your problem based on one of your old posts.

I've really been pining for two models.......a Patek 5960R or the Grand Lange 1 (137.033).

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote