View Single Post
Old 20 March 2024, 06:41 AM   #1
Texas Our Texas
"TRF" Member

First Grand Complication Advice

I’m looking for some wisdom from the assembled brain trust here on the forum. Though I haven't posted, I read a ton, and this has been an incredibly helpful community as I continue to learn and become a more informed collector. 

I had a nice business milestone occur, and I plan to mark the occasion with an exceptional timepiece. Right now, from the current line, the two primary pieces I am considering are the 5270P (green dial) and the 5370P, with the 5204G as an outside contender. This would be my first grand complication, and I would get the piece from my AD. From retired references, I also love the 5204R with the grey dial and strap.  I would also probably let my AD source this for me, as he has done so (and offered to do so) with other retired references.

My budget is approximately $300K or so. I buy a piece or so a year but not at this price point. I expect it will be 3-5 years before I am shopping at this level again. 

So my question is: which piece would you recommend and why? Are there pieces I’m not considering that I should? I’m not married to buying a current release Patek, so if there are other vintage pieces that I should think about, I’m entirely open to that. 

Aside from just enjoying the piece, I do care about the long term vision on collecting, including value of the piece, best way to build a collection, and building the relationship with the AD for special or application pieces down the road.  Not sure if it would affect anyone’s thoughts, but if I end up underspending the budget on the main piece, I’ll likely buy a 5172G (blue dial), a world time, or maybe a 5170P. All are on the roadmap for eventual purchase, but I’d use this as an excuse to do it at the same time. 

Thank you all in advance for the thoughts. 
Texas Our Texas is offline   Reply With Quote