View Single Post
Old 30 March 2024, 04:45 AM   #21
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioal View Post
My point is that if you ship overnight you'll probably be just fine. Those services tend to have a much higher degree of care than say UPS Ground or USPS first class something like that.
My point is that everyone has their anecdotal stories, but honestly, I don't share the general opinion that private couriers are better than USPS, apples to apples. I don't think anyone is talking about regular first class or UPS ground, but I have had great experiences with USPS Priority/Registered and also with overnight shipping from various couriers, but I've shipped many more using USPS. In fact, given the massive numbers of packages shipped by USPS, I have heard of relatively few problems. IIRC, we just heard two stories about thefts from couriers. I tend to think that USPS gets a bad rap because some people like to criticize anything with a connection to the government.

And unless you have a commercial account, you are extremely limited with respect to insurance from the private couriers. USPS Priority can be insured to $5k and registered to $50k. Of course, you can't insure sentimental value.