View Single Post
Old 9 April 2024, 06:22 PM   #101
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I just don't understand all the AP bashing. One trick pony brand? Maybe, but there is still too much demand vs supply for the RO. Wonder why? At least they are putting in an earnest effort to diversify their line up with the CODE. I didn't like them at launch either, but the newer releases have been really good IMO. What they trade for in the secondary market doesn't make it a bad watch. A PP 5172g retails at $80k and can be had in the secondary market for $60k as an example. Does it make it a bad watch? Absolutely not! It's a lovely reference.

Why we have to call any collector AP Fanboys, Rolex Fanboys, etc.. is beyond me. We are all just collectors that like certain brands for whatever our reasons. Whether one brand is better than another is purely subjective anyways. I understand those that are frustrated with AP for not being able to get what they wanted the last few years. I can see why that left a bad taste in their mouths, but the same holds true for PP and Rolex too. You could argue that the cost of entry for a Nautilus or Aquanaut is much higher than for an RO.

Isn't Rolex basically a one trick pony too? Every watch is based on an OP case with the exception of the 1908, no? What I find interesting is many of the Rolex centric collectors accuse AP of being a one trick pony.....

PP might be a different story. They do have a deeper variety of references to choose from in various shapes, metals, and complications, but there is always the cloud of your AD being axed and your relationship going with it. Scary thought to be honest at any level of the journey.

As far as having to buy Codes/ROO's to get an RO allocation goes, I think it's the kettle calling the pot black here. PP AD's are not going to sell you a Nautilus or Aquanaut until you spend BIG $ with them on other references, other brands, or jewelry they sell. Rolex AD's will not sell you hot sport pieces either without substantial spend on other things.

I'm a collector of all 3 brands here. I don't classify myself a fanboy of any one of them. I like them all for different reasons. I hope we can all get back to the days of talking about the watches themselves instead of secondary market values or as investments. This is a hobby after all.
Very well said. The constant rant of putting down any reference using secondary market price as a guage is like repeatedly playing a broken record. Sounds more like an opportunist rather than collector.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote