View Single Post
Old 12 April 2024, 01:49 PM   #1
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Golden Ellipse 5938r in Precious Metal Bracelet

I am still scratching my head. But what do you think of Patek’s recent move to add a bracelet option on its Golden Ellipse model?

Are the 70/80 vibes making a comeback like what Piaget and Vacheron Constantin did recently on their watch models - Polo and the 222, and Patek is merely following suit?

Mr John Reardon of Collectability has been harping on “this year is going to be the year of the Ellipse”. Is that what we are seeing finally?

To be transparent, I own a Golden Ellipse rose gold in leather version bought last year after a four-year wait (yes, it’s definitely hard to come by). Owning one was a nostalgic purchase for me, seeing a couple of my late Dad’s clients wearing such in the 70s, and I’ve been wanting to own one on its more moderm size. But I cannot fathom wearing a gold bracelet on an Ellipse as it takes away the understatement nature of the said timepiece in my opinion. Though to be clear, I am not complaining.

Lastly, if I were to read the Patek Philippe catalogue of available models, looks like more of the 70s timepieces are being featured -- Nautilus, Gondolo, some Calatrava and grand complications. But I may be wrong.

Here is a wrist shot of my 5738r in its original black leather strap. I called this my Tuxedo watch. [emoji4]

Many thanks for your insights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote